The objectives of SANCOM are as follow:
- Advocate for a more free and open policy environment for community media to flourish in the region;
- Exchange information regarding community media related initiatives and activities in the region;
- Build/share capacities for community media production and management across national boundaries;
- Document and disseminate best practices and explore possibilities of replicating success stories;
- Encourage comparative research that could help gain greater awareness and deeper understanding of community media in different national contexts in the region;
- Promote peer learning and self-evaluation;
- Build alliances with other national, regional and global networks, both of community media as well as of broader social movements.